Reno Air Races
UPDATES (as of 11/29/30)
See our latest updates on RARA below:
- Site Visit to Roswell - November 27-28th. The RCCEDC and the City of Roswell received a 7 member site visit team from the Reno Air Racing Association (RARA). The two days included productive discussions, focused tours, and a warm Community Reception where Mayor Tim Jennings presented RARA Chairman, Fred Telling, with a key to the City of Roswell. Thanks to them, the City of Roswell, Chaves County, our members, and everyone in the community that participated in this important visit. Hope to have some updates on RARA soon! Thanks again!
- Mayor Tim Jennings on KOB 4 News, 11/28/2023: Check out the Mayor's interview on KOB 4 below--
Exciting News for Roswell, NM: The Reno Air Races Could Boost Our Economy!
The possibility of hosting the legendary Reno Air Races right here in Roswell, New Mexico, is not just about thrilling airshows but also a major economic opportunity for our city. Below are reasons this event could give our local economy a significant lift.
The prospect of hosting the iconic Reno Air Races has Roswell, New Mexico, buzzing with excitement, and we need the entire community to join in and show our unwavering enthusiasm for welcoming this prestigious event. Here are compelling reasons why we believe Roswell should stand together and make it clear why we are the perfect choice:
- Increased Tourism: With the world's best pilots taking to our skies, we can expect aviation enthusiasts and spectators from near and far to flock to Roswell. This influx of visitors will boost tourism, driving revenue for our local businesses, hotels, and restaurants.
- Job Creation: Preparing for and hosting an event of this magnitude requires a workforce, from event coordinators to vendors, security personnel to hospitality staff. The Reno Air Races would create job opportunities that benefit our community.
- Business Expansion: Local businesses, especially those in the aviation and tourism sectors, stand to gain from the increased foot traffic and business generated by the event. This means more opportunities for growth and expansion.
- Promoting Local Products: Events like the Reno Air Races often showcase the best of local products and services. Our businesses have the chance to shine, attracting customers and potential long-term partnerships.
Inspiring Future Generations: Hosting the Reno Air Races can ignite the passion for aviation and related STEM fields in our youth. This event could lead to more students pursuing careers in aviation, further strengthening our local workforce.
So, if you're as excited as we are about the possibility of Roswell hosting the Reno Air Races, get ready to not only witness incredible aerobatics but also witness the positive impact on our local economy. Let's keep our fingers crossed and show our support for this exciting opportunity! #RoswellRenoReady #EconomicBoost #CommunitySupport
How Can You Get Involved?
We encourage every resident, business owner, and aviation enthusiast in Roswell to get involved and show the Reno Air Races why we are the perfect choice. From social media campaigns to community events, we'll be sharing ways for you to participate and make your voice heard. Here are some great ideas to welcome the site selection committee:
- Table Tents
- Outdoor signage
- Making sure your customer facing staff is aware
- Sharing social media posts
Stay tuned for updates, and let's come together to make Roswell the ultimate host for the Reno Air Races. Join us in this thrilling journey and help us demonstrate why Roswell, New Mexico, should be the new home for this legendary aviation event. Together, we can make it happen!
Use the graphic below on your marketing pieces
Roswell emerges as top contender to host prestigious Reno Air Races
Roswell, NM — The skies above Roswell, New Mexico are buzzing with excitement as the city becomes a leading contender in the search for a new home for the renowned Reno Air Races. The prospect of hosting this iconic aviation event has ignited the enthusiasm of local officials, aviation enthusiasts, and the broader community. With its rich aviation history and strategic location, Roswell is poised to provide the perfect setting for the next chapter in the storied legacy of the Reno Air Races.
What are the Reno Air Races?
The Reno Air Racing Association (RARA) headquartered in Reno, NV, was founded in 1964 and established as a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization. Their vision is to “establish the Reno Air Racing Association as the pinnacle of inspiration, education and exhilaration for people of all ages.” Recently, the decision was made by the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority to end their 57-year engagement at the Reno-Stead Airport outside Reno, Nevada. RARA is seeking to locate and partner with airports and localities that will allow them to continue the World’s Fastest Motorsport. Their event was recently named the #1 air show in the US on the 2023 USA Today “10 Best” list. Each year, tens of thousands of patrons from all over the world flock to the National Championship Air Races (NCAR) resulting in an economic impact that exceeds $100 million. In addition to the regional economic boost, Reno Air Races Association provides over $100,000 of tickets and cash contributions to local charities and philanthropic organizations. The races are definitely one of the main economic drivers for the Reno region.
Why Roswell, New Mexico?
Roswell is an outstanding candidate to host the National Championship Air Races (NCAR):
1. Aviation Heritage: Known as the "Alien Capital of the World," Roswell has a deep and diverse aviation heritage, featuring both military and civilian connections. Today’s Roswell Air Center is an enduring testament to the city's historic commitment to excellence in aviation.
2. Strategic Location: Roswell's location in the heart of Southeast New Mexico offers excellent accessibility for participants and spectators alike. Its established highway network active commercial airport make it an ideal hub for this premier aviation event.
3. Community Support: The Roswell community has embraced the potential of hosting the National Championship Air Races. Local businesses, volunteers, and aviation enthusiasts are eager to come together to ensure the success of the event.
4. Spectacular Scenery: The wide-open spaces and stunning landscapes of the New Mexico desert create a breathtaking backdrop for air racing, providing an unforgettable experience for all attendees.
Mike Espiritu, President & CEO of the Roswell-Chaves County Economic Development Corporation, expressed, “We are honored to be considered as a potential host for the prestigious Reno Air Races. Our city is ready to open its arms to the world of aviation, promising an unforgettable and thrilling experience for all who attend."
The Road Ahead
The selection process is underway, and Roswell is committed to demonstrating its suitability. Community stakeholders, local authorities, and event organizers are working closely to make the dream of hosting the National Championship Air Races (NCAR) in Roswell a reality. After submitting the official proposal in August 2023, Roswell expects to host an upcoming site visit, and receive a final decision in early 2024. If selected, Roswell will host their first NCAR in September 2025.